English-Taught Program for Doctoral Students in Sports Science is a Ph.D. Program offered by Shanghai University of Sport (SUS) for international students in China. As a prestigious higher education institution specialized in sports, SUS enjoys high reputation in such research fields as sports kinesiology, sports ergonomics and sports medicine.
Teachers of this Program not only boast strong domestic and foreign educational background, and enjoy high reputation in sports science research realm at home and abroad. Through this Program, students can grasp solid basic theory, systematic expertise and specific basic skills in sports majors and related disciplines, obtain a wide range of knowledge, have the ability to devote to independent research and teaching or fulfill the professional and technical tasks, and contribute to the development of international sports undertaking.
Requirements for Applicants
1. Application Eligibility:
Master Degree or above;
Mother language is English; or high score in English language proficiency examinations (at least IELTS score of 5.5 or TOEFL score of 80 IBT)
2. Application Materials
1) Application Form of Shanghai University of Sport for International Student (attached with photo).
2) A copy of passport (valid ordinary passport).
3) A copy or a notarized photocopy of master student graduation diploma (pre-graduation certificate for fresh graduate) and master degree certificate; Notarized Chinese translation or English translation is also required for such original diploma not in Chinese or English.
4) A copy or notarized photocopy of master student transcript; Notarized Chinese translation or English translation is also required for such original master student transcript not in Chinese or English.
5) English proficiency certificate.
6) Curriculum Vitae in English (including educational background, work experience, academic research achievement, study and research plan, etc).
7) Recommendation letter from two associate professors or above title (in Chinese or English).
8) Application fee: RMB 500 (cash, postal remittance or bank transfer)
* If necessary, SUS will request the applicant to submit the designated supplementary materials.
* Incomplete application materials will not be accepted.
* The above application materials and fee will not be returned to applicant regardless of admission results.
English-Taught Program for Doctoral Students in Sports Science takes three years, which consists of course teaching in Academic Year 1 and doctoral dissertation writing in Academic Year 2-3. All courses are taught in English. Faculty includes not only in-service teachers of School of International Education, but also experts from hospitals, sports science research institutions and other organizations of substantive fields. The total credit points of at least 18 are required for graduation (12 credit points from compulsory courses and 6 credit points from elective courses). Students are required to pass the exams for all courses.
Within 12-18 months after the beginning of the first semester, every student must put forward doctoral dissertation proposal. A student, whose doctoral dissertation proposal is approved, can be qualified for doctorate candidate. In order to obtain doctorate, all students must finish dissertation writing and pass the dissertation defense. Dissertation writing and defense should be made in English. Every student must be instructed by a designated academic mentor who gives guidance for research and doctoral dissertation writing.
Schooling Duration and Tuition
This is three-year program.
Tuition: RMB 33,000/academic year (RMB 16,500/semester).
Application for this Program is accepted throughout the year. The deadline for Fall Semester of Year 2018 is May 31, 2018. Student’s application beyond this deadline will be postponed to the following year. Applicants can submit their applications by post (as evidenced by the postmark date), by email or by directly going to Overseas Student Office.
Application materials and application fee should be submitted to Overseas Student Office prior to the deadline.
* Upon review of application materials, admission result should be given in two ways according to the applicant’s situations and professional requirements:
1) Decision on whether to admit through interview;
2) Decision on whether to admit through interview and written examination.
* Interview is generally arranged in the early June. Every applicant, whose application materials are accepted, will be directly informed of specific way, time and place of interview by Overseas Student Office (by phone or by email).
* Every applicant, who has complete application materials and passes the examination, can be admitted. Overseas Student Office will issue acceptance letters to admitted students.
Information of CN Yuan Account
Customer’s Bank in China： Agricultural Bank of China Shanghai Branch
Customer’s A/C NO. 033267-00881002983
Customer’s Name: SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY OF SPORT
Customer’s Address: NO.650 Qing Yuan Huan Rd., 200438, Shanghai, China
ACCOUNT of US Dollars
Customer’s Bank in China： Agricultural Bank of China，Shanghai Branch
Customer’s A/C NO. 09421014040005359
Customer’s Name SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY OF SPORT
Customer’s Address NO.650 Qing Yuan Huan Rd., 200438, Shanghai, China
Please write your passport name and “application fee” while transferring.
Overseas Student Office, School of International Education, Shanghai University of Sport
Address: No. 650, Qingyuanhuan Road, Yangpu District, Shanghai, PRC
Email for Online Application: email@example.com